The First Universal House of Justice
The principle of unity in diversity is reflected throughout the worldwide Bahá’í community. The first Universal House of Justice (UHJ), the supreme governing institution of the Bahá’í Faith, was elected in 1963 by delegates from 56 National Spiritual Assemblies. The nine members chosen that year by secret ballot came from four continents, represented three major religious backgrounds (Jewish, Christian, and Muslim), and were of several different ethnic origins. One of the members elected at this time was Amoz Gibson, a Black Bahá’í from the U.S.
(L to R) Charles Wolcott, Amoz E. Gibson, Hushmand Fatheazam, Hugh E. Chance, H. Borrah Kavelin, Ian C. Semple, Lutfu’llah Hakim, David Hofman, Ali Nakhjavani
Amoz Gibson became an active member of the Washington D.C. Bahá’í Community in 1946. He was elected to the Local Spiritual Assembly of Washington D.C. and served as treasurer and later as chairman. He was also on regional committees and was elected as national convention delegate. In 1959, Gibson was appointed to the Auxiliary Board for protection; and in 1960, he was elected to the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States. He served and traveled all over the world, including the Navajo reservation in Arizona and New Mexico, Uganda, Holland, France, Italy, Mexico and Iran.